$27M Florida Wrongful Death Lawsuit Seeks Damages from Orange Lake Resorts Over 11-Year-Old’s Fatal Electrocution
The family of Ashton Jojo is seeking over $27 million from Orange Lake Resorts for her Florida wrongful death. The 11-year-old died in June in an electrocution accident while playing miniature golf. At the time, she was reaching into a pond located on the time-share property for her ball when the energized water shocked her.
According to the Florida electrocution accident complaint, her older brother and another person tried to save Ashton and they too suffered an electrical shock. The incident finally ended when workers finally turned off the power to the pond.
Ashton’s loved ones are contending that “improper, illegal, and grossly negligent repairs and modifications” to electrical wiring, breakers, and submersible pumps caused the tragic accident. They say that even though the defendant’s parent company, Orange Lake Country Club Inc. is a company valued at billions of dollars, it had an unlicensed employee to do the electrical work in an effort to save money.
The family, Ashton’s parents Deborah and David and her brother Donovan, are also seeking damages for the physical and emotional injuries that they sustained from having to watch her die.
Florida Premises Liability
Hazardous conditions on a premise can result in serious injuries and deaths. It is the responsibility of property owners to make sure that any such dangers are removed or repaired immediately.
Unfortunately, electrocution incidents can happen, especially when the wiring is faulty or there is some other circuit-related problem, and the consequences for those exposed can be deadly. Common causes of electrocution hazards:
• Inadequate maintenance
• Poor repair
• Exposed wiring
• Unsafe conditions that increases the risk that physical contact with an electrical hazard can happen
• Inadequate warning signs or lack of physical protections around an electrical hazard
Electrocution accidents can cause electrical burns, cardiac arrest, damage to the muscles, tissue, and nervous system, arc burns, thermal contact burns, and even death.
To mount a successful Miami premises liability case involving an electrical hazard or any other unsafe condition, the injured party has to prove that the property owner knew or should have been aware that the dangerous condition existed and did not repair and/or warn about this condition. The plaintiff also must show that victim was hurt because of this dangerous condition. However, keep in mind that different levels of care are mandated according to the reasons the injured party was on the property to begin with, and, also, generally, property owners cannot be held liable for injuries resulting from dangerous conditions they didn’t know (or had no grounds for knowing) existed. These are just some of the many reasons why you should work with an experienced South Florida personal injury law firm that will know how to handle your case while protecting your rights.
Parents of girl electrocuted playing miniature golf sue resort, Orlando Sentinel, August 21, 2012
Claim seeks $27M in girl's death, Times-Union, August 22, 2012
Premises Liability, Justia
More Blog Posts:
$158,611 Palm Beach County Personal Injury Verdict Awarded to Boca Raton Student Beaten in 2010 Bullying Incident on School Bus, Florida Injury Attorney Blog, October 25, 2012
A Woman and A Horse Killed in Florida Hyperbaric Chamber Blast, Florida Injury Attorney Blog, February 10, 2012
Miami-Dade Wrongful Death Suit Filed Against Homestead Day Care in Toddler’s Death, Florida Injury Attorney Blog, July 14, 2011